Right to Education
Education can create a stable future
Education is both a right in itself, and a means of realising other human rights.
Finn Church Aid supports local communities in quality education.
- Providing vocational education especially for women and young people.
- Securing education for children and young people in fragile environments.
- Providing safe and environmentally friendly learning spaces.
- Strengthening the quality of education (Teachers without Borders Initiative).
Education in emergencies is the key focus of Finn Church Aid’s humanitarian work. We advocate for the right to quality education both locally and internationally.
Vocational and Skills Training – Relevant education
Vocational training and skills training aim at ensuring better livelihoods through employment and business creation. The skills we provide are relevant to the local context and linked to market opportunities. Vocational and skills training are targeted particularly for young people and women, and activities have centered in Cambodia, Liberia, Nepal, Sierra Leone and Uganda.
- Second chances programmes focus on displaced youth, child soldiers, teenage mothers, unaccompanied minors, youth heads-of-household, and abused youth – both girls and boys – based on local and context specific analyses.
- The programmes involve raising awareness of the consequences of dropping out of school, such as developmental risks and having fewer opportunities for further learning and for good livelihoods as adults.
- Second chances programmes have been implemented in DRC, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Somalia, and South Sudan.
Services related to education
- FCA creates safe, child-friendly and environmentally friendly learning spaces. We set up temporary learning spaces and build schools, particularly in emergency situations.
- We provide adequate and relevant teaching and learning materials, as well as school equipment.
- Education serves as a platform for additional services such as psychosocial support, child/youth protection, nutrition (community kitchens and school meals, school gardens) and hygiene.
See our Right to Quality Education leaflet (pdf)
See brochure Training for Primary Education Teachers in Crisis Contexts (pdf) and full training pack (pdf).
See Right to Quality Education 2-pager (pdf)